New chicks to older chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by adorable, May 18, 2008.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    HOw long am i safe to add new chicks to the older chicks. Example.a day old to be able to add to 2 and half weeks old. Will that work out ok. Or will they pick at the day olds?

2. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    They would probably peck at them. Day olds are pretty fragile. Can you keep them seperate in them same brooder but so they can see each other? That will help when they do intergrate. Another thing is day olds need more heat then the others. I have 4 different ages in one of my coops and I didnt have much problems bringing the ones that were a month apart together but they were 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 months old when the younger ones decided to start coming out of their brooder and mingling w/ the older ones. But I have some that are just a few weeks and they are still in a secure cage.

3. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I did exactly that yesterday and all is fine after the initial investigation by the big girls! Good luck![​IMG]

4. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    ok. THanks i will do that

5. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    that's funny i just did that. they seem to be fine. we have a few 2 day olds with 8 2.5 week olds and they are all fine, don't it before too with no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by