New chicks to the flock.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by phyllisjohnosn, Dec 8, 2009.

1. phyllisjohnosn

phyllisjohnosn New Egg

Feb 14, 2009
    Farmerville, La.
    I would like to introduce two new chicks the my flock. Flock, well I have two girls and would like two more. Tried to add two a few weeks ago the they were picked so that I had to take them out of the coop. I am ready to try again any suggestions.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  2. chaneg78

chaneg78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Hudson IN
    how old are they? The old ones and the new ones?

3. phyllisjohnosn

phyllisjohnosn New Egg

Feb 14, 2009
    Farmerville, La.
    The old chicks are about two years old and i would like to get the new chicks about six months old

4. chaneg78

chaneg78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Hudson IN
    If the younger ones are six months old they should be able to take care of themselves, they might get beat up a little at first but they should be ok. The other thing you could do is keep them seperated but in sight of eachother for a few weeks, and then put them together. They will still fight though when you do put them together.

5. phyllisjohnosn

phyllisjohnosn New Egg

Feb 14, 2009
    Farmerville, La.
    I will try again I do not want to see them get beat. Maybe it will be better this time. Thanks

6. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I recently added 2 new 8 week olds to an existing flock of 7.
    I put them inside the coop/run (all covered) in a 4 by 4 covered dog pen with their own food and water for a week.
    when I let them out finally I left the pen folded up and leaning against the wall for them to run behind to escape as needed.
    They are still lowest in the pecking order and have to keep an eye out so they do not get pecked but no one is actively trying to hurt them. They are just being told their place if they try to take the treats first etc.

I think you need to put them in a dog crate or cage or something inside with the girls so they can see them and get used to them for 4-7 days before you try to mix them. After that there will be some pecking to establish who was there first etc but they should be ok.

7. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    We have been trying to integrate 3 EE's with our existing flock of 7 since August, to no avail. My husband even had to build a "coop" within the coop for them. It has been kind of a pain. 2 separate waters, 2 separate feeders, and now one of the EE's is getting ready to lay an egg, and now he has to build another nest box!!!! But, sorry to say, if they don't lay green eggs, and they end up laying brown, they are on their own!!!! We are going to put them in with the others, and what will be will be!!![​IMG]

8. phyllisjohnosn

phyllisjohnosn New Egg

Feb 14, 2009
    Farmerville, La.
    I have a small pet taxi that I can use. I'm so happy going to clean the carrier. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by