New Chicks Today!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ajlynco, Feb 22, 2012.

1. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    I recieved my girls from Ideal Hatchery this morning. The 6 California Whites and 6 Black Sex Links hatched and shipped on Monday. I ordered the 12 and that's all that was shipped, no packing peanuts or heating pad. All were in great condition and they're running around like track stars tonight. I'd ordered GroGel and it was forgotten but ,no biggie.I put some sugar in their water along with a packet of electrolytes/minerals. I'll order from Ideal again. Hopefully I'll have eggs by Independence Day[​IMG]

2. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    [​IMG]

Congrats!
    Is this your first time from a hatchery?

I'm getting my first hatchery chicks from Meyer on March 7th!

So excited!

3. ajlynco

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    Yes, this is my first batch of chicks. Being a chicken newbie, this is all so entertaining and fascinating. I currently have the chicks on paper towels covering pine shavings. How soon can I remove the paper towels? I'm gonna give em a week and then introduce them to an occasional treat and start them on chick grit.

4. chicharomirinda

chicharomirinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Reno, NV
    congrats! You're in Reno, right? I remember you posting on the nevada thread awhile back. You should only need them on the paper towels a couple days.

5. ajlynco

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    Yes, I'm a Reno guy. I originally wanted to get chicks in October but I've been so busy with work, I haven't been able to free up the time needed for them. Finally I just decided to go for it. These little guys are great! They're zippin' around all over the brooder. I can't believe how much they've grown in just a few days. Very healthy and vigorous. What's your choice for a feed store here in Reno, Chicharomirinda?

6. chicharomirinda

chicharomirinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Reno, NV
    I go to Green's Feed in Reno and also 1-Stop Ranch & Feed in Sparks. Good experiences at both. Green's is just more convenient for me but sometimes I make it over to Sparks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by