New chicks turned out with the older ones........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mbleily, Jul 1, 2008.

1. mbleily

mbleily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    I finally bit the bullet and put the 9 week olds in with the almost in 2 days 14 week olds. they have been in a penned off area in the hen house so they can see each other for since they were about 4 or 5 weeks old. There are 4 roosters and 2 hens. (So much for the 50 50 chance of hens). They are being chased around a lot. I am hoping the older ones will let the eat and drink. I may have to chase them out and let the little ones get a chance to do that.

I wonder if anyone knows how long it should take for them to all get used to the younger ones. They are not all that much smaller. a couple of the roos are as big as some of the older hens. The are Australorps. and all the rest are a grand mixture. I wonder if the color has a part in it. Even though they have been able to see each other all this time.

The funny thing that happened that I really didn't expect was the big rooster I don't like very well, (a brown Leghorn) has been really nice to them and talks and trys to put them to ease. He lays down by them and pecks and the ground talking to them. It was such a surprise because he is so randy and has made all the big hens mad at him because he thinks is ready and they are not. LOL He has taken a chunk out of one of the turkens necks even. They all run from him. But he is like a mother hen to these young ones.

I am worried now that I have taken out the pen I am going to have to put it back in. GRRRRRR It has only been a matter of hours but I don't know if I should leave them in for the nite or not. I am really a nervous mother. LOL

2. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    I think they will be fine. Just wait and see what happens. If the little ones are not getting hurt I would leave them alone. By the way when you get only six chickens and you end up with 4 roosters and 2 hens it sounds really bad but the ratios aren't very accurate unless you get i would say at least 20 chickens.

3. mbleily

mbleily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    Quote:Well, they made it through the nite but they are still trying to hide in the corners. When the others are in the house they run for a corner and bunch up. I go out and make sure they get a drink and eat without any harassment. They come running to me when I go out. I really didn't get to play with them as much as the others and was surprised they felt I would save them. LOL I don't see them being picked at that much today already. There are just two hens that really go after them. And they will run at them everytime they see them. I think they are going to be ok now. They haven't gone outside yet though. They run right passed the open door and pop hole.

I go these 6 with my sister in law and we put them together. I was going to let her raise them because she had a place all ready for them. I hadn't intended to get any when I went with her. So after they were together we picked them out again. She ended up with 4 hens. So the total was 50 50, I just didn't get the right outs out of the second picking. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by