new chicks under hen pecked badly by other hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by janjan1, Feb 9, 2009.

1. janjan1

janjan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Armuchee, GA
    I have two brand new hatched chicks under their mom. Hatched this morning. She is a first time mom, lower on the pecking order, seems to be a good mother, staying on nest etc, but the other larger hens looks like they bullied her so badly she got off the nest leaving her two newly hatched chicks exposed to their attentions. They both are pecked badly about the head, no hide or fuzz on either one's head. Looks bad. I have placed both chicks in a box with mom and she is mothering & warming them the best she can. Is there anything else I can do for them?
    TIA
    Jan

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Just keep mom and the babies seperated until the chicks are larger and able to better avoid the pecking of the other adults.

3. janjan1

janjan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Armuchee, GA
    The little pecked chick is still alive this morning as is her sibling. But the chick that was pecked so bad has it's eyes swollen shut due to head swelling. It looks and sounds so pitiful. Hen and chicks continue in a nice quiet dark nest box in the feed/tack room away from everyone. I have food and water available in the room close by the box. I fed the hen soft scrambled eggs this morning and dipped the chicks beaks in water to hydrate them. Should I go ahead and cull this chick or take away to raise in a brooder box alone? Or should I just let nature take it's course and let hen raise and let the chips fall where they may? I sprayed purple/blue wound coat on it's little head to coat the raw wound and to attempt to cover the wound so hen won't be tempted to peck her own chick. The wound has no hide left over the head, no fuzzy feathers, no skin. Looks exactly like it was scalped by the attacking hens.
    Suggestions please
    TIA
    Jan

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Jan,
    I'm bumping your post so that others may come along and offer you suggestions.
    I would probably cull the injured chick if it's hurt that badly.
    I feel bad for you having to deal with this. [​IMG]

5. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    In my world I would keep doing what you are doing. Nothing wrong with trying to help mother nature along. Keep mom and chicks together just as you are doing. If mom starts trying to peck the badly injured baby; she probably knows it won't make it. Then you could cull.
    Your doing the best you can; keep up the good work. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by