new chicks! *updated w/pics*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by catballou24, Aug 10, 2007.

1. catballou24

catballou24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    well..we picked up 5 new pullets today..[​IMG] 3 black jersey giants, 1 salmon faverolle, and 1 danish leghorn. [​IMG] they are almost 5 months old and still quite a bit smaller than my 6 birds here, but the gal i got them from said to go ahead and mix them in...they'll figure it out.[​IMG] well, they did get the initial pecks, but for the most part the other chickens were just curious about them. the black jerseys stayed in a group and immediately got familiar with their water and food source..haha they seem to be settling in. the salmon is quite shy and hid behind the trashcan that holds their feed. the leghorn wasn't quite sure where to go so flew up on top of the nesting boxes..haha i'll go out and check again in awhile and get some pics, but so far so good..[​IMG] i didn't realize how big the jerseys will get! [​IMG] that's cool though, we have space..[​IMG]

we also found a home with the feed store i got these gals from, for our extra rooster. [​IMG] she said she'll find a home for him and while it's nobody's business what the chicken is used for once it belongs to someone else, she said she always asks if they are going to be used for pets or meat. then she discourages anyone from buying any for meat unless that's the type of chicken she has..haha she even asked me what we were doing with the 5 gals and what our set up was like..[​IMG] AND she has nigerian dwarf goats, so in a month we are getting a pregnant mama from her!!

salmon faverolle:
    [​IMG]

danish leghorn:
    [​IMG]

black jerseys:
    [​IMG]

clementine checking out the new gals:
    [​IMG]

the boys:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  2. catballou24

Apr 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    oh..and ignore the camera date...haha its obviously very wrong! [​IMG]

3. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    They are absolutely beautiful! I love Jerseys! And waht pretty boys you have, too! Congratulations! How are they fitting in? Looks like things are going well! [​IMG]

4. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    That's neat! I'm sure you will love the goats too.

5. catballou24

Apr 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    things seem to be going well. the salmon is very very shy. she's a sweetie too. i went out to check on them and she really wanted to be picked up. so i was holding her and the dominant roo came in and she dive bombed down my shirt! [​IMG] didn't want me to put her down, poor thing.....the others were out in the run in the corner but definitely making themselves more known to the others...[​IMG]

6. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    are they really 5 months? they look a little younger than that... but i may be wrong.

7. catballou24

Apr 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i was told they were 4.5 - 5 months old....i thought they looked kind of small too as i'm pretty sure my girls are about 6 months old...i don't know for sure though as i got them from an elementary school back in april. anyway, the gal i got them from said they'll start laying really soon though, as soon as they get used to their new surroundings...:shrug: my girls still haven't layed yet, but the roosters are definitely doing their rooster thing and chasing tail all over...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by