1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicks what are they silkies or Cochins?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sunnie7, Oct 25, 2016.

1. sunnie7

sunnie7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2016
    Here are mine 1-2 days old! Picked them up today, was told they were bantam Cochins but someone on here broke the news that the lighter ones are silkies. Let me know what you think each one is (color too)?!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I can't see each chick well enough to say, but here's how you can tell...

silkies have black skin, five toes and a walnut comb, so on a chick the comb will be more of a wide flat spot. They should also have crests, but this can be iffy on hatchery birds.

Cochins have yellow skin, four toes, and straight combs. On a chick the comb will look like a little ridge of saw teeth.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    of course if any of the breeds are poor examples of the breed from hatcheries they can be missing the important "tells" for each breed, they may even just be mutts

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    please wait a few weeks and post nice, clear close up photos.

1 person likes this.
  5. sunnie7

Oct 24, 2016
    I think only my one little one is a silkie after looking at their feet better!
    Silkie feet?
    [​IMG]

Cochin feet?
    [​IMG]

6. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep.

Where did you get them from? If not from a hatchery, could they be mixed? It's a cute mix, if that happens.

7. sunnie7

Oct 24, 2016
    I got them from a local lady. She had a ton of different breeds all out together but none of them were mixes. So guess there's a chance it's a mix.

8. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, purebreds running together sounds like you've got a good chance at some barnyard mixes. chances are they'll be adorable, though.

9. sunnie7

Oct 24, 2016

what would the mix be considered?! Bantam Cochin mixed with a silkie. I tried looking it up but its so confusing! Sizzles I think have the dark feet and 5 toes so the wouldn't be that?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  10. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It would be considered a silkie/bantam Cochin mix [​IMG]. there's no name or designation for a mixed breed like that. It's not a sizzle, it's just a mix.

Mine came out lightly crested, 4 or 5 toes (but one of my silkie hens only has 4 toes on one foot), feather legged, very rounded and fluffy but with regular feathers. Very cute and personable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by