New Chicks what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kreagerm, Dec 22, 2012.

1. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Just picked up 4 chicks, they are so cute. 3 are the same and the one is different so I had to have the odd one. We know the mother is a cream brabanter of all of them, but who is dad. I know about 3 Roos on the property, a cream brabanter, an EE and another crossed with a RIR. Lets here your thoughts. The three yellow ones have feathered legs and non on the property have feathered legs. They are cute either way and I can't to see what they grow up to look like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mohawkbrian

mohawkbrian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    looks like the dark ones are EEs and the yellow ones are RIRs. You say the RIR is a cross breed which means there may be a reccesive gene which posseses but does not show and therefore his offspring could have feathered legs. Also RIR chicks are yellow.

3. kreagerm

Feb 11, 2012
    Cool Thanks!!! The EE will go perfect with my other EE's, Can't wait to see what the RIR cross looks like.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    bottom 2 look like polish :/ what breeds were all there and did they all run together?

5. silkiemelon

silkiemelon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    Washington
    I agree. They look like golden polish chicks!

6. kreagerm

Feb 11, 2012
    No polish in the group, The only Roos are an EE, Crossed RIR and a Brabanter

7. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    The bottom ones are polish or at least polish cross for sure. Might want to ask the person about it. Looks like the second chick is possibly also polish mix I can see alittle tiny top knot in front

8. kreagerm

Feb 11, 2012
    The mom is a cream brabanter. Maybe she had polish in her somewhere down the line?

9. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I havent heard of that breed, I will have to look up a pic. Somewhere one of them has alot of polish because that baby has a huge top knot. You might ask if the person has had polish. The hen can stay fertilized by the roo for a few weeks so she can still lay his babies for awhile if a polish was present for any length of time. There are other breeds with top knots but that baby looks almost pure polish. The varieties you get with mixes are awesome I love mixes.

10. mohawkbrian

mohawkbrian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    that top knot is due to the barbanter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by