new chicks: what is this exotic, help reviving him?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Megs501, May 6, 2016.

1. Megs501

Megs501 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    These just arrived this morning. This little guy came extra in my McMurray order. First, what is he?

Secondly, he is very listless. Not warm, not eating or drinking (unless i put his beak in the sugar water) and not walking around. He has started chirping a bit when I rub on him. What can I do to get him back to help him out? (I know I may just lose him) The others are out in the barn in the brooder, along with 47 meat chicks that are in a separate brooder, but I didn't want to leave him out there to get trampled on and possibly smothered.

I am putting his beak in the sugar water every few minutes, hoping he just needs energy. I ordered an energy pack, but they didn't send it with my chicks. The others all seem just fine.

He is also smaller than the others .. is that just his breed? =/ I was excited about our exotic roo, and I don't want to lose him![​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I'm sorry I can't help regarding reviving him but I can help you with breed, it looks like a Polish.

3. Megs501

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    Thank you! I will google about them. i've never had one of those.

I think I can try a little raw egg yolk for him. There was a bit of info when I googled. thank you!

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If he's still around, you can try putting some electrolytes in the water and give some hard boiled egg or scrambled egg for an extra boost of protein.
    That is indeed a little Polish.

5. AngeliqueR

AngeliqueR Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2016
    San Dimas
    I second that, you can see a baby Polish in the upper right of my profile pic. Mine is all buff but otherwise has the same poofy head and tall beak.

6. AngeliqueR

AngeliqueR Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2016
    San Dimas
    I would also like to point out I had problems with my Polish being listless and having diarrhea when the rest of my flock was totally fine. She was listless within a day of being brought home from the feed store. Not sure if this breed is more vulnerable to parasites like coccidiosis or what, but I treated her with Corid and she was all better in 3 days. I'd keep an eye on her vent to make sure she doesn't have diarrhea.

7. poodlechicks

poodlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    NY
    Just wondering if he's warmed enough. Is it under a heat lamp or warmed w water bottles?
    Do you have nutridrench or sav-a-chick electrolytes to offer it?
    Keeping it warm, offering electrolytes and not stressing the chick by constantly handling it is all you can do IMO. Good luck. I hope it makes it.

8. Megs501

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    Thanks so much y'all! He/she is a white crested black polish =)

I put him in the house with raw egg yolk (I read somewhere that was ok? not sure .. did that before I was able to read the replies here!) and sugar water. I had his box on a heating pad and was changing out hot water bottles for him. He finally started peeping loudly, holding his eyes open, and acting a little better-OH and he finally pooped!

I decided being in the brooder under the light would help him since he seemed to get the food and water he needed. Checked on him all afternoon, this last time he was peeping quietly, drinking water and eating from the feeder! So I think he is on his way. Going to check on him again in just a few. =) I will let you know how he is tomorrow!

9. Megs501

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    Well, we lost him and one barred rock chick last night. Maybe just from stress and failure to thrive? They are plenty warn w the heat lamp out there ... Hopefully the rest are okay. Thanks everyone!

10. poodlechicks

poodlechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    NY
    So sorry. Depending on how weak they are, it's best to keep them separate until they are a bit stronger to rejoin the others. Hope the rest are well and live a healthy life[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by