New chicks - what now?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LC, Jul 20, 2008.

1. LC

LC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2007
    Farmington, Arkansas
    I have two new chicks this morning ... 21 days on the dot.
    They are SexLinks - one is a yellow pullet and the other is a cock.
    What now? These are my first chicks.
    Should I get the rooster and other hen out of the coop for a while so the chicks can get their legs under them? I think I'll put a small waterer inside the henhouse for them. What do I feed them ... chick feed I'm guessing? Anything else?

[​IMG]

2. LC

LC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2007
    Farmington, Arkansas
    No way I can keep these chicks in the coop. The little cock appears to be an accomplished escape artist [​IMG]
    I have a really big cooler I could rig up for the chicks to stay in for a while. Or I could just let them stay with mom. Suggestions welcome.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I'm assuming from your post that you had a broody hen hatch out these two chicks? And that you have other adult chickens besides the one that hatched these guys?

Definately put a feeder and waterer at the level where the chicks can get to it. Regular old chick starter from the feed store is fine. Make sure the nest box is where the chicks can get out OK to get to the feed and then get back in under momma (not too high off the ground or too high a 'lip' on the box, etc)

The mamma hen will probably eat it too, but that's OK - the extra protein will help her boost herself back up after sitting for so long.

As far as separating the mamma and chicks. Sometimes the mom hen will vigorously protect her chicks from the other chickens. Sometimes the other chickens will leave the chicks alone, regardless. However, I wouldn't take the chance - I'd separate the mamma and chicks away fron the other chickens - better safe than sorry...

Also, watch the mamma carefully and check on them several times a day at least. Sometimes moms decide that the egg sitting was OK, but they aren't going to brood those chicks, or worse yet, they turn on the chicks. Be prepared to bring in the chicks to brood them in a brooder of some kind (for 2 chicks a large rubbermade crate/tote would work fine) with a heat lamp, etc.

4. LC

LC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2007
    Farmington, Arkansas
    Quote:Correct.
    I got the chicks and rigged up a 50 gal. plastic storage box for them. Momma didn't like it much. I lured dad (who is a bit of a hothead) out away from the coop with a frozen hot dog bun so he didn't have anything to say about it.
    I'll head to town and get some chick starter later.
    It's in the mid to high 80's here with low 70's at night ... should I try to keep the temp at about 90 for the chicks?
    They are in my shop which stays about 10 degrees cooler than the temp outside.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  5. LC

LC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2007
    Farmington, Arkansas
    New pics ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by