New chicks, what's going on?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys, some of you may have seen my threads about my incubation, and my lone chick Early bird. To sum it up, day 19 of incubation was on Tuesday, and Early bid hatched early out of 3 other surviving Cochin Bantam eggs. The others never hatched, I don't know why but and currently trying to find out. Otherwise, she was imprinted on me and definitely needed friends. So, we drove the 2 hours round trip to the feed store in town to get her 5 other bantam buddies. I ended up with two Silkies, two black and white chicks, possibly Sebright's? Plus one other chick I have no idea on the breed of, I'll call him/her unknown. They are all bantams.
Anyway, I noticed on the way home, the grey Silkie did a few quick head shakes a few times. I didn't think much of it, or tried to not think much of it, until we got home and I noticed it was a common thing she was doing. Every few seconds, not in a pattern or anything, a super quick head shake. Then I noticed Unknown doing it a few times as well.
I had a respiratory infection scare the other day, so of course I immediately think, respiratory infection. What could be going on here? Could it be something from the terribly dirty stacked brooders I pulled them out of at TSC? The brooders were pretty dirt there, and they were all huddled under the heat lamp like they were freezing. I'll keep you posted on if its a continuous thing or if it goes away. I had to post something though, because I love sweet little Early bird to much to risk her catching anything, since there is no way the family would agree to keep birds with a constant disease. Its dinner for them if they have it.
Please tell me it may not be a respiratory infection! I'm also sorry for the lack of a video. I don't have Youtube, and have never really been interested in getting it, but if videos are absolutely necessary, I could probably hook it up. Thanks guys!

The onlybtimes my chicks shake their head like that is if they ate something they didnt like, trying to spit it out, or had something stuck in their mouth. It was all realated to something uncomfortable or yucky in their mouth. Almost as if theyre shaking their head no to it. Not saying thats what it is, it just lways has been in my experience. When my hens don it, it's only when i try to hold their heads or beaks still for various reasons, or theyre trying to scrape or fling something off or out of their mouths. Which concludes their head shaking is also because they're trying to deter whatever away, out, or off of face/mouth. It could also be an itch or an ear irritation.

Back
Top Bottom