New chicks, when will they start acting normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledegg, Jul 18, 2011.

1. speckledegg

speckledegg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    W. WA
    So, chicken math hit. I went to a farm yesterday and came home with 2 pullets. The guy said they had a Feb. 1st hatch date but they don't look that old, but whatever. There were TONS of chickens (70) and they were pecking eachother badly. They looked like they had plenty of space, but just a lot of pecking at eachother. Our two have some bald spots on their backs because of it. [​IMG] DS and I were happy to be able to take a couple away from that.

However, I do'nt know if these guys have ever been interacted with! They are cowering in the back of the large dog kennel I temporarily have them in and will not come out. They won't take any meal worms. I saw them eating their food so they are eating and drinking, but they are just so scared! How long does this usually last? What can I do to help them warm up to me? They are barely pecking at the grass. I would at least expect them to pick at the grass and ground beneth the kennel. They seem healthy otherwise. What do I need to look for to make sure they aren't sick? There hasn't been any sneezing etc. They just seem scared. I did dust them to make sure we don't bring mites into our flock. Is this typical behavior for new birds?

TIA!

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Yes, most of the time a new bird will be terrified of people. Whenever I feed my chickens I make a "chik, chick, chik, chu-chik" sound, and soon they learn that they get food whenever they here that sound, and so follow me when I do it. Soon they should warm up to you though. It helps if you have them around chickens that are used to you, then when the new birds see that their chicken coopmates like you, they'll warm up to the idea of being around you. Good luck!

3. speckledegg

speckledegg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    W. WA
    Thanks for the reassurance! It makes me sad to see them so scared! lol! I'm hoping if I calmly sit by them frequently enough they'll chill out.

Do you know what I should be on the lookout for as far as sickness?

4. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Drooping back end covered in poop, cloudy eyes, lethargathy,(is that how you spell it?), and generally anything that seems abnormal. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by