1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicks with 2 week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickgarden, Apr 14, 2012.

1. chickgarden

chickgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    This is our first experience with chicks. We bought 4 chicks two weeks ago, a Black Star, Delaware, Brown Leghorn and an Ameraucana. The Black Star was a few days older than the other three. The Ameraucana is still very small and fluffy but the others don't bother her at all. The other three are beginning to feather out.
    Today we brought home 2 five day old Barnevelders. They all seem to be getting along fine except for the Brown Leghorn. She chases after the little chicks, pecks at them some, but they don't seem to be afraid of her at all.
    We were told at the feed store to try holding them all together so they got used to being close together.
    Any other advice? Will they settle this out on their own.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Two weeks differential is pushing it. Keep an eye on that Leghorn. Hopefully, this won't escalate into a bad situation.

3. chickgarden

chickgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    We put them all into a bigger brooder so they have more space. The Leghorn is still chasing them, but the two chicks seem strangely drawn to her. No matter how much she chases them they still try to curl up with her. She has very similar markings so I'm guessing that might be it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by