New chicks with adults

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Barry1963, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Barry1963

Barry1963 In the Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    Madison, Tennessee
    I have two RRI hens and one black sex link adult hens. Today i picked up a barred rock and a RRI chicks. they are 3 weeks old. How long before I can put them with the adults ?

2. tinabrat1

tinabrat1 In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    at least a month of quarentine is safe!

3. Make sure the quarantine is far enough away that the new chickens are not breathing the same air as your current flock of chickens.

Better to be safe than sorry, you know.

4. Barry1963

Barry1963 In the Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    Madison, Tennessee
    appreciate the advice folks, thank you

5. phoenixmama

phoenixmama Songster

Apr 12, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    It's also a good idea to wait until the babies are approximately the same size as your other birds...they will definitely get picked on if they are significantly smaller.

6. Barry1963

Barry1963 In the Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    Madison, Tennessee
    I butchered two of the three of my hens today, So I just have one adult hen (the black sex link and she's a layin machine). My 2 chicks are 6 and a 1/2 weeks old now. Other than a little fuzz on the head theyre pretty well feathered out. Ive got them in a separate cage inside the pen with the SexLink hoping she can start getting used to them being in there with her. Im sure she'll bully them a bit once I turn them loose in the pen with her.

I was thinking I could partition off the pen until they are closer to her size. Any advice , should I try and cut them loose with her and she how she reacts. ?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  7. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Songster

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Quote:I partioned off a section of the big hen run and put my 4 and a half week old chicks in there with a refurbished dog house for a mini coop. When I bring treats in for the babies, I sprinkle them along the fence line that separates them so the big ones are eating right along with the babies but can't peck at them. I figured they would get more used to sharing that way. The older hens actually stick their heads right through the wire to get bits but don't seem to bother the young ones.

8. Barry1963

Barry1963 In the Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    Madison, Tennessee
    I think that is probally my best option also mamma, i'll pick up a little fence tommorow, i like the feeding at the fence line idea, thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by