New chicks with momma can I add the 6 week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HobbyFarmNoob, Sep 6, 2016.

1. HobbyFarmNoob

HobbyFarmNoob Just Hatched

Aug 11, 2016
    Canada
    I have 6 week old chicks (10 of them) in a separate run, and in our main coop we have the rooster, broody momma, and 10 chicks that are about 4 days old.

When would I attempt to combine this flock? The older chicks are with a few turkeys and I'd like to separate them to give the turkeys more room but don't have another run/coop for them yet.

Is it best to wait until the chicks are all comparable in size?

P.S. this is the first time we've had chicks raised by a hen and it is just amazing. It is so much more fascinating than raising them in a brooder. I love watching the mother hen and her little chicks! Just love it!!!!!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Assuming that momma would accept the additional chicks - 20 chicks may be a little more than she can keep warm. I'm sure that other members have direct experience and will contribute later in the day.

CT

3. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    CTKen, I think OP has 10 chicks that are 6 weeks old and then a mama hen with 10 chicks. Unless I'm reading it wrong.
    My little OEGB hen usually weans her babies at about 5 weeks, so, they are on their own in the main coop by that age. If they are big enough to survive in a coop with turkeys, they will survive with the adult chickens. The mama will likely be able to protect her chicks from the 6 week old ones without too much trouble if your coop/run is big enough for everybody to get away from each other. Have a little hidey hole so the hen and her chicks can get some privacy and things should work out okay. Set up a roosting ladder in the run so the 6 week olds can perch off the ground to get away from the mama hen if needed.
    Good luck, hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Thanks for the clarification and apologies

5. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I agree that it's best to let the six-week olds fend for themselves. The broody hen with new chicks isn't going to tolerate any older chickens, including six-week olds, to mingle with the new babies at this stage.

By the time the newest chicks are closing in on four weeks, all the chicks will probably be able to mingle with little problem.

The suggestion to provide numerous high perches is an excellent one. Young chicks instinctively search out high perches while they are integrating into the flock. It's a great way to provide security and to head off conflicts.

6. HobbyFarmNoob

HobbyFarmNoob Just Hatched

Aug 11, 2016
    Canada
    Would it be best to wait till the newest chicks are closer to 4 weeks then? I suppose I am more worried about the safety of the youngest chicks cause they are so small, and since theres only one adult hen and rooster I don't think they'd pick on the older chicks? I have never integrated chickens before, only raised them together. One day I plan to have them all together, just not sure when it would be 'best' to make this transition!

The 6 week old chicks were raised from day olds with the turkeys, so they are all used to each other. The turkeys are quite a bit bigger than the chicks (obviously?!) but I think the size isn't a problem there since they were raised with each other.

7. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    I think between the mama hen and the rooster, your youngest chicks will be well protected. If your turkeys really need space now, go ahead and make the move. I'm not sure it would be easier to wait 3-4 more weeks. No matter what you do, somebody is going to or pick on somebody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by