new chicks with old chicks.

Patchp22

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
i have 12 barred rocks. they are 5 weeks old. i was wondering if i could put the barred rocks in with my rhode island reds when the barred rocks get older. will they kill them?

Are they all pullets and hens? Females are easier to put together. Last year I had 15 male Barred Rocks for meat and they were not nice to any of the other chickens. I finally had to separate them from the rest when they were about 15 weeks old. If your birds are all females, you'll probably see some bullying during the reestablishment of the pecking order, but if you hang out with them (for instance, put them together on a Saturday morning and be close at hand all weekend) to make sure it doesn't get too bad, they'll probably be fine. I'd wait until the Barred Rocks are almost as big in size as your Rhode Island Reds. Say... 8 week-ish? 10 weeks? I can't really picture the age at which my chickens have always seemed "teenager-ish"...

I tried putting mine together. It was a blood bath. Feathers flying everywhere. Blood gushing. One hen grabbed a chick and ran off with it. Crazy.

you cannot put babies in older hens, I put my little roo in with my hens at 7-8 weeks, they would only peck him and he was faster, if you put them some where they cannot runaway then it is not good.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom