New Chicks with Old Flock

STEMteacher_chickenmama

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2022
I have a broody Silkie hen that is currently sitting on 6 eggs, but I have 2 other chickens in the coop (1 rooster, 1 standard size hen). I am limited on making adjustments to the coop due to this being the school’s coop (I’m a STEM teacher at an elementary school). Is it possible to keep mama and her chicks in the coop with the 2 others when they hatch? If so, are there any preparations I can make. I’ve heard that a dog crate could work but I’ve never done this before. I’m worried that the chicks won’t be safe with the other 2 in the coop, but I’ve read in a few different places that mama hens will protect her babies.

Last edited:
I'm now weary with leaving chicks in with other birds. I had let one of my banty girls hatch eggs inside the coop instead of moving her. One of the chicks was walking around the coop next to her mom and then one of my standard hens came into the coop, grabbed the chick, and bolted for the run where everyone started to play keep away with the poor thing. Luckily I was able to grab the chick before they tore her to pieces.

I would opt for the dog kennel. You can keep a better eye on the chicks until they are a little bigger.

I'm now weary with leaving chicks in with other birds. I had let one of my banty girls hatch eggs inside the coop instead of moving her. One of the chicks was walking around the coop next to her mom and then one of my standard hens came into the coop, grabbed the chick, and bolted for the run where everyone started to play keep away with the poor thing. Luckily I was able to grab the chick before they tore her to pieces.

I would opt for the dog kennel. You can keep a better eye on the chicks until they are a little bigger.
Would you recommend keeping the kennel inside the coop or just outside outside?

The little chicks can easily slip through the wires of most kennels so either way wrap some extra mesh or something around the kennel.

I've done both before, but I prefer doing it outside the coop.

Back
Top Bottom