New chicks with older girls

mrkep

Songster
12 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Richwood , Ohio
We have 9 Buckeye chicks that are 6 weeks old. Lots of feathers and about 9 inches tall. There are 9 adult Buckeye girls in the coop/ fenced run. Can we put the young ones in the coop at this age difference? Six years ago we put little ones in with adult birds and one of the young ones got pecked to death. We are in central Ohio and the forcast is for mild weather. Do the young ones need to be shut in the coop for a period to recognize it is home?

Where have the littles been staying up to this point in the day time? I just recently had this similar situation. I have seven 9 week old pullets. I kept them in a brooder inside the house, but around 2 weeks old I let them inside the run with the big girls and rooster in their own enclosed pen. The "see no touch" method. I did this for about 4 weeks, still bringing them in at night. At 7 weeks old, I let them out of their enclosure to run around the run area with the big girls, but keeping their pen open so they'd have their own space. I supervised, of course, and there was some pecking, but I just watched and made sure they were ok and put them back in the pen and closed it up. Eventually after a couple of days I just let it happen and let them run around at will. There was a few squabbles, but after about a half a day, the little pullets were running around like they owned the place and everything went well. I finally put them up in the big coop at dusk on the 3rd day of running around freely with the big chickens and checked them at first light. They've been doing great going on 2 weeks now and all the chickens are doing well together. Honestly, just keep an eye on them whatever you do and things will just work itself out - good luck!

I personally keep chicks and adults separate. Till they are about the same size as the adults. Plus it's traumatic for chicks when they get injured by the adults, witnessing it or being the victim. There behavior gets influenced by there experiences and the stress that will occur from all of it.

I would keep them separate in the same coop if possible with a no peck policy. It is important for the little ones to get used to being in a coop, before meet-greet adult hens.

We have 9 Buckeye chicks that are 6 weeks old. Lots of feathers and about 9 inches tall. There are 9 adult Buckeye girls in the coop/ fenced run. Can we put the young ones in the coop at this age difference? Six years ago we put little ones in with adult birds and one of the young ones got pecked to death. We are in central Ohio and the forcast is for mild weather. Do the young ones need to be shut in the coop for a period to recognize it is home?
Its easier to get the flock to accept 2 or 3 week old chicks than it is older chicks but the routine is the same.My chicks were placed in a dog crate in the run a week after I bought them at Rural King.

I picked up 6 chicks at rural king Oct 26 .They were introduced to my flock of 5 on Nov 2. On Nov 16th they will have been with the flock for 2 weeks.I do not have a fence around them but they do have hiding places.I also moved everything around in the corner of the run where the chicks stay.They don't venture far from the dog crate they're staying in.Today I opened the door to their coop and added their food and water and a light.They ran in and out of there all day but they're still sleeping in the dog crate where their heater is.

Edit:
The chicks I brought home were already a week old .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom