New chicks with pics, and a question or six!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MissMaryMac, Mar 3, 2014.

1. MissMaryMac

MissMaryMac Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Hello from Oregon! For my birthday this month, I asked my husband for a coop with laying hens. I didn't want to wait for eggs, and I didn't want to spend the extra money and time on brooder equipment and feed. Then yesterday we went to the local grange and they were having a deal where you get 5 free chicks with a bag of feed. So now...
    Five new babies! Hopefully all girls. We've got two Buff Orpingtons, Minerva and Brienne, Brienne has the darker red head. Two Austrolorps, Constantine(maybe) and Kerrigan. And Medusa our lone Favarolle.
    [​IMG]

The feed was advertised as chick starter, but when I got it home I saw that it was just all-purpose poultry feed. The pellets seemed large, so I ground them up a bit in my food processor. We're planning on going to the feed store tomorrow for chick crumbles. This is the feed I got. http://www.paybacknutrition.com/poultry.html It says "All Purpose Poultry is a complete maintenance feed for general use in most feeding situations. When fed to laying hens free choice oyster shells should also be provided. Provide chick sized grit and fresh, clean water at all times." Since they've been eating it all day, will I need to buy them grit tomorrow, even if I switch to crumbles?
    [​IMG]

Medusa. My current favorite, she's just so tiny and bright yellow <3
    [​IMG]

Minerva looking at me like, "Whatchu want?"
    [​IMG]

Fluffy butts!!
    [​IMG]

Our current setup. They seem to enjoy their little box. At what age will we need to have a cover to keep them from hopping out?
    [​IMG]

I love them already <3

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! How adorable! I can see why you came home with them! I find I have to keep the lid on mine around 2-3 weeks (brooder is around 2 feet tall) or they will start jumping out of it. Chick feed can be medicated with (usually) Amprolium to help control coccidia, if you need it in your area. Otherwise with feeds, usually the main differences in all the feeds are the protein% and the Calcium%, the one you are feeding is 19%, their chick starter is 20% and the calcium% is identical. The main thing would seem to be the feed shape, and it sounds like the pellets are too big for the chicks to eat, so you could just keep grinding them up until the chicks are big enough to eat the pellets, or save that bag until they are older and get a bag of chick crumbles now.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Your chicks are adorable!

Good luck with your new babies. Don't worry, they will have you trained in no time! [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!

4. MissMaryMac

Feb 24, 2014
    So now, even if I get them crumbles today, should I get them grit? And I suppose I can just ask the man at the feed store if I need to worry about coccidia around here?

5. MissMaryMac

Feb 24, 2014
    Also, when can I start giving them treats?

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You can start giving them treats anytime, if you give them treats they should have grit available... if you just feed them the chick feed they don't need it, but won't hurt to have it available for them.
    Here is a nice member page on coccidia. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-and-medicated-feed I personally usually don't feed a medicated feed anymore but do the clump of dirt in the brooder thing, keep a close eye on them and treat with Corid etc if they have an outbreak. I do have them vaccinated if I get chicks from a hatchery that will.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congratulations on your new chicks, and welcome to BYC.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Medusa is my favorite - you can see her puffy cheeks forming - Salmon Faverolles are beautiful

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG] Alright cute chicks and nice set up [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by