new chicks with watery eyes? seems to be spreading :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by imaturtlefan, Aug 21, 2013.

1. imaturtlefan

imaturtlefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    I had a nest of eggs hatch under a broody hen 3 days ago, one silkie mix came out of the egg, not able to open its eyes, but seemed fine otherwise. I thought maybe some egg had dried on it or something, so I cleaned it up and and put it back, I didnt think a disease, or illness since it was less than 24 hrs old, and from my eggs. I dont bring live birds on my property for biosecurity reasons.
    After I cleaned it up, it could open its eyes, and shortly after began eating. The next morning though, one eye was shut again, and watery, so I removed the chick, it acted fine, ate fine, just had a watery eye. Now for the last 2 mornings, each morning there is 1 more chick with a watery eye, just one eye, and otherwise no symptoms whatsoever. One of the chicks was a week old, from another hen, in another part of the coop. I have cleaned waterers, ect, been careful about washing hands, and as I said, they arent sneezing, there is no nasal discharge, they eat and drink fine... Im clueless here. All 3 are together now, and in my house, not in the coop with the others. Hoping this doesnt continue to spread.

Im not sure if this could be weather related, as its not normal for Aug, and its hot, then chilly, and constantly damp. I feel like I live in a rain forest, we seem to be getting rain every single day, and I cannot remember what "dry" even feels like... any ideas, would be greatful for any help here.

also, I apologize if 2 posts about this went up, I tried to post one earlier, and it never showed up as posting.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It doesn't really sound like a disease to me, but I could be wrong. What type of bedding are you using? Cedar wood shavings, or dusty bedding could be irritating the eyes, causing them to water. Or, is the bedding clean? High ammonia levels could cause eye irritation. Damp weather especially causes large amounts of ammonia to build up.

If you notice more symptoms, it might be a respiratory disease. In that case, you'd want to get some oxytetracycline like Duramyicn, Terramycin, or Tetroxy HCA-280.

Hope this helps!

3. imaturtlefan

imaturtlefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    It is pine bedding, I did notice that although on the bag it said "low dust" it seemed dustier than usual though. The coop is pretty clean, and very well ventilated, but it is true that air doesnt seem to be moving, it is so humid, and damp, that everything is just...ugh. Anyway, I dealt with IB once, and those chickens were definitely sick, and whats confusing me, is these really dont seem to be, but yet, each day its a new one, with the exact same symptom. I guess Ill just keep cleaning food and water containers, and watching things. Its frustrating though. The first chicks eyes look much better now though...not nearly as watery, almost normal actually. Praying its not a disease though! Thanks for the input :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by