1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicks.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by yolkie123, Sep 29, 2015.

1. yolkie123

yolkie123 New Egg

Apr 3, 2015
    I have a new baby chick that hatched about an hour ago, I walked out in my goat barn and heard peeping. I did not know a hen was even in there. The baby chick was in the corner of the barn among about 15 eggs. Although he was hatched, wet, moving, peeping, and still even had its imbullical cord. It hatched without the hen on her eggs. She was out with my other chickens in one of our large fields. I brought the chick in imediatly and put him under a heating lamp while all wrapped up in a blanket. Its been about an hour and the hen is still not back on her eggs and this little chick is trying to stand but every time he does he falls backwards. I think he may have a deformality in his legs. Im very confused by this and will be greatful for any explinations

2. steven29128

steven29128 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    South Carolina USA
    Be sure it has water and starter feed. Sometimes chicks are born with birth defects. They die sometimes and other time they live. I have a hen that has defected feet but she is a good layer and a good hen to have. She was born the same way.

Welcome to Back Yard Chickens ! [​IMG]

3. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Can you see any physical deformities? If not, give it some time and see what happens. Hatching out of that shell is a very hard job and it may still be very weak from that as well.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If the hen has left behind any eggs, I would take them inside and try to provide incubator like heat & humidity. They may be very close to hatching.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

How is your little chick this morning? Did the hen ever go back to the other eggs?

Hope all goes well.

7. yolkie123

yolkie123 New Egg

Apr 3, 2015
    The
    I ended up putting the mom back on the eggs on my own and out the chick under her. I wend out around 20 minutes later to find the baby out again and the mother not on the eggs. The baby has survived and is doing exyremly well. It's been taking him more time than usual to learn and understand how being a chicken works e.g it's been about 4 days and he's just learning how to eat on his own and walking is a bit of a struggle sometimes for him. But overall he's doing very well. Unfortunately I candled the rest of the eggs and every one of them happened to be dead.

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    I'm sorry you only got 1 but it sounds like he's a tough little guy and should do well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by