1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NEW CHICKS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alex, Jul 7, 2007.

1. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    I have 3 silkies, they are 3-4 weeks old. I just need to know how to be sure they all know where the food/water is. I just want to be 100% sure that they know everything about there new home. And, if they don't know where the food/water is, then how do you show them where it is located in there home? Thanks!

-alex

2. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    Dip their beaks in water. Just not to much. They'll get the idea. Also, if you scratch in the feed with them nearby, they'll hear it and recognize what it is.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

These chicks you got from me will be able to find food and water no problem. They are used to a red watering base and a metal feeder. They are pretty smart and so I wouldn't worry. Just make sure you place their water at the height of their back because else they will get wood shavings into it. Oh yeah, don't use cedar shavings, they were raised on pine and cedar is bad for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by