1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EmmC, Sep 6, 2016.

1. EmmC

EmmC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2016
    Vermont
    So a friend of mine just gave me 5 2 week old lavender auricana chicks that she just hatched. They were just barley taken away from their mother today and are very stressed. Any advice on how to keep them calm/when and how to start imprinting?

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi! Chicks don't really imprint like other species of birds do. However, you can make them more docile when they get older by handling them when they are still young to get them used to you. Also, I would say that food is the best way to convince a chicken of your importance [​IMG], so when they are older and have free-choice grit available, I'm sure they would love getting some treats.

As for the stress levels, just make sure that they are in a safe, relatively quiet area that is not too hot or cold. When brooding with a heat lamp, a main cause of stress is when the temperature is too hot or cold. If they are scattered to the sides of the brooder, it may be too hot, and if they are huddled directly under the lamp, it may be too cold. Just make sure that they have plenty of food and water and they should quickly get used to their new surroundings.

Best of luck with your new chicks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by