New chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sackosuds, Mar 21, 2017.

1. sackosuds

sackosuds Just Hatched

Aug 17, 2016
    Central New Jersey
    Hey all. Short story. I have a flock of 8 girls and 1 roo. They are free range and return to the coop every night to. E locked up. About 4 weeks ago 1 of the girls decided not to come back with the rest, but over this time she did "stop in" for food and drink and to catch some hell from the rooster. Someone had said she may be broody and sure enough yesterday she showed up with 7 adorable little baby chicks. I got them all, along with mommy, into the barn and set them up in a little home with everything I can guess they need. I do have a question tho... should I have a heat source with the momma in there too. I didn't serperate the mom n babies. But I do have them seperate from the the rest of the flock. Obviously, she's kept the eggs warm enough on her own for them to hatch without any help from me so I'm sure she know what she's doing... any advice would be appreciated. 1st time new baby chick Daddy[​IMG][/IMG]

2. sackosuds

sackosuds Just Hatched

Aug 17, 2016
    Central New Jersey
    [​IMG]

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    No, her heat is plenty for the chicks and the heat lamp would only serve to overheat her.

4. sackosuds

sackosuds Just Hatched

Aug 17, 2016
    Central New Jersey
    Ok. Thank you. I thought that could be the case

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by