New chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rbum, Mar 25, 2017.

1. rbum

rbum Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Louisiana
    Is it bad to mix new chicks vaccinated for Mareks to flock that hasn't had the vaccine?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'm not aware that it would be an issue. I've kept birds that have had different vaccination regimes together with no issues whatever.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I would not hesitate, though I have a qualification further down. The vaccine for Marek’s should be Turkey Marek’s. They have been studying other things to protect against Marek’s, but as far as I know every hatchery in the US uses Turkey Marek’s as the base for their Marek’s vaccination. You can always call the hatchery to confirm that.

Turkey Marek’s will prevent the lesions that cause the problems from Chicken Marek’s from forming. It does not stop them from getting the Chicken Marek’s virus, they can still have it and be carriers, but since it stops the lesions from forming it stops the damage. The vaccine itself does not transmit Marek’s to other chickens.

My qualification is that the chicks need about two weeks after they are vaccinated with Turkey Marek’s for it to take effect. If they are exposed to chickens that have Chicken Marek’s in that time, the vaccination may not work. So you need to keep the chicks isolated from your flock for a couple of weeks after you get them in case your existing flock has Marek’s.

1 person likes this.
  4. rbum

rbum Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Louisiana

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by