New chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Quilted, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Quilted

Quilted Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Vancouver, USA
    Yesterday we got four chicks from Wilco Farm Store. They are in a brooder with solid sides, in the house for now. We have a rabbit screen lid and 125 watt heat lamp on them. The temp never seems above 85, and I don't know how old these chicks are, either, so I am a little concerned about the Temperature. They have two or three rows of wing feathers and the two sex link chicks have tiny tail feathers sprouting. The other two are Barnnevelders and while the same size, have fewer feathers. They eat, drink and eliminate what my books say is normal, and will move about when awake and not eating or drinking. Any ideas? Do I need to up the heat lamp to the 250 watt variety?

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Hi! [​IMG] If they seem happy, then you should just judge by that. They should be moving around the whole brooder and peeping contentedly. If you want to know their age, you can post pictures and members can give you an estimate. :)

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrats on your new babies! It's hard to say how old they are, but if they are starting to grow in tiny wing and tail feathers but are still quite fuzzy, they are probably within their first 7 days or so. I like to start day olds at 90 degrees. Any more and they argue with each other. Lower the temp by 5 degrees each week. You can sort of tell how they are acting if they are too cold or too warm. If they pile on top of each other and huddle under the lamp ALL the time, they may be cold. If they chirp a LOT, they are too cold. If they hang out along the edges of the brooder, ALL the time and never gather under the heat, chances are they are too hot. If they stretch out with wings extended ALL the time, they are too hot. There should be a balance of each of these positions around the brooder, both hanging out under the heat, cooling off on the edges and milling around comfortably.

You can use any heat lamp size, but the higher the wattage, the farther away the light is in their faces. I always use a 250 infra red bulb. Infra red does not disturb the sleeping pattern or cause excitability like a white light can. Infra red is more penetrating into the tissues as opposed to white light that heats on the surface of their bodies. I really prefer Infra red. BUT....you can use any form of heating, as long as they are comfortable and growing well. :)

Good luck with your babies and welcome to our flock! :)

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've been given some great advice already so I'll just say hello! And if you haven't already done so, check out the Learning Center for some terrific articles on all aspects of raising poultry.

Best of luck!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Quilted, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you in our community! Congrats on your baby chicks!
    Here's a link to the Baby Chicks section of the Learning Center - lots of great articles: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks
    And here is the Baby Chicks Forum for questions you may need to ask:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

And in this link you can find your state thread and chat with local poultry folks:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

6. Quilted

Quilted Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Vancouver, USA
    [​IMG]

7. Quilted

Quilted Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Vancouver, USA
    I just posted my first picture. Thanks for your welcoming responses. I'll go check out the links. So far, the chicks are peeping, pooping and being adorable. They do sleep under the lamp, together, then mill about when awake. At night, I put them ina mor esecure room, that is probably warmer.

8. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    So cute!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Quilted [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice and links to some great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by