1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

New chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hajeecar, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Hajeecar

Hajeecar In the Brooder

May 29, 2016
    I have two hens and they are 2 years old. I was thinking of getting two more chicks in the spring. When the chicks are big is there most likely going to be a problem when I introduce them to the older girls?

2. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Crowing

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    what are your current two? What's the possibility of them going broody? If they do, you can get the chicks at that point and give them to your broody to raise. Then you don't have to worry about integration at all.

Hajeecar and featheredplanets like this.
  3. BDutch

BDutch Chirping

May 19, 2015
    the Netherlands
    My Coop
    Introducing new chicks or young pullets give severe/more problems then introducing grown-up chickens. Grown up hens wil argue or fight a bit. Depending on the race/characters.
    Introducing fertile eggs to a broody hen makes her very happy. But consider that you don't know how many newborns will hatch and you get roosters too. With natural breeding you have 'no' risks in introducing a disease in you're healthy flock.

Hajeecar likes this.
  4. Hajeecar

Hajeecar In the Brooder

May 29, 2016
    Thanks so much!

5. Hajeecar

Hajeecar In the Brooder

May 29, 2016
    Thanks for the info

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've found integrating chicks at about 4-6 weeks the easiest integration,
    BUT,
    you have to have coop and run set up for it to work well.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

Knowing what your coop and run is like(dimensions and pics) would help us give you more specific advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: