New chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by poultrygeist, Sep 16, 2009.

1. poultrygeist

poultrygeist Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Hunterdon Cty. NJ
    My chicks are 1 month today. I'm in Jersey and it's getting colder, below 70 today! From what I've read 6 to 8 wks. is the time-line for putting the chicks out so to speak. I'm concerned that they like the brooder box too much and that they'll squawk like crazy when I put them out there the first time. What to do if they don't like their new condo?

2. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    i would just leave them in there. they dont really have much of a choice, so they might as well learn to get used to it and like it. aint got much else for that [​IMG]
    and congratz on your chicks turning 1 month [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2009
  3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    If their new digs is bigger I bet they will like it just fine. More room to stretch their wings. [​IMG]

4. poultrygeist

poultrygeist Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Hunterdon Cty. NJ
    So, just cold turkey and out they go?

5. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    If they are fully feathered or you have a heat source {light} so they can get warm if they need to. Yea cold turkey. Mine always look like they love it. You will worry about it more than they will. [​IMG]

6. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

In my experience chickens are always...well... chicken about new changes [​IMG]

They wil be fine, they will gripe and complain for a while, but they will be ok [​IMG] They just have to learn to accept lol

7. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Because I have a HUGE coop and HUGE stock tank brooder, I moved them out in the brooder and all at 6 wks old.

That was last spring, so I kept the red heat lamp on for them.

I built them a lower ladder type roost but they preferred to go into the stock tank to sleep for a month.

Then one day, they all desided on their own, it was time to sleep on the roost.

I kept them in the coop for 2 wks while I finished the run. When I opened the run door, they all went out and in on their own and then put themselves to bed on the roost from day one with no fear.

I think it helps to keep them locked up in the coop for awhile before you let them out in the run.

Good luck with your little ones.

8. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Yup I agree. When I put my first flock out, they lived in the coop for over a week with the door closed before I would let them into the run.

That first night they actually went outisde they put themselves to bed [​IMG] Not a problem ever since!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by