New Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GreenGoddess, Sep 18, 2009.

1. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Well, I just got done incubating eggs and unfortunately, lost them all but, I went and picked up 6 BR chicks from the local feed store this morning. I know the chances of them all being pullets are slim since they were straight run but, here's hoping! Anyway, they all seem to be doing ok now.. They were supposed to be delivered yesterday morning but they spent an extra 24 hours on the road. They are from Ideal so the traveling from TX to NC seems to have stressed them a bit.. I completely expected that. They are eating chick starter crumbles and drinking water with poly-vy-sol and i put 3 capfuls of gatorade in the water to give them a small boost.. I know they cant have a bunch of treats yet but I did put some of the crumbles in plain yogurt and made a mash for them for the probiotics but they didn't like the yogurt.. I have a clamp light one one section to keep it warm. I checked the temp and it's around 88-90 degrees (thermometer is slow to register so not quite sure what it actually would have read) but they are all very quiet and seem content. I also have the brooder inside our shed so that they are out of the elements and I can have the light on it.. Can't have that if it's raining.. When I first got them home, I had two that seemed very "droopy".. I gave them each a tiny drop of vitamins and they were eating and drinking and now they both seem to be running around like the rest of them so I guess I must be doing something right... Anyway, if anyone has any other suggestions or feels I've missed something, please let me know.. So, now the pics of the little fuzzy butts!!

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/nc29beachgal/Chickens/Fuzzy Butts/

Goddess [​IMG]

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    cute chicks! I just got a shipment from Ideal this week too.
    Hope they all grow up happy and healthy for you.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Very cute!! [​IMG] Got 5 from MPC on Wed. I would have been a basket case had they had to spend an extra 24 hours in shipment!! My BR baby is my favorite so far...the friendliest of my little flock.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They are adorable!!! Good luck and have fun... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by