New Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by poupoule, Oct 18, 2009.

1. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Hi everyone,

I went down the coop to feed my chcken, when what a surprise, I can heard chipping! I looked in the box where my bantam has beeb sitting for almost 3 weeks now (I was expecting hatching time towards the end of the week), and there there is a tiny yellow ball, so cute!!![​IMG] I am sooooo excited. There are my first babies. The bantam is sitting on 12 eggs and 1 just hatched![​IMG]

Now what should I do? In the coop, there is the rooster, 2 silkies and a young Australop (very big compared to the other hens). Mama bantam is (or was) the top hens. Should I separate a portion of the coop for her and her babies to protect them from the others? Or can they all stay together? I bought yesterday some chick starter. When do I need to give them some? Do you think they can drink from a rabbit drink bottle?

I would appreciate any help as this is my first time ever with chicks. Thanks

Poupoule

PS I am in Australia so being cold is not a issue for them.

2. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    [​IMG] Congratulations! Yes, it would be good for you to separate part of the coop for the mama and babies; it will encourage her to finish hatching and feel protected; make sure she has access to both food and water. As for the waterer, I don't know about a rabbit waterer, anyone else out there?? I always just use a small plastic poultry waterer and feeder. Let her stay in the confined separated part of the coop for about a week and then she should be able to mingle about the other chickens with no problems, she will take care of and protect the baby chicks; I have several Silkie mamas with chicks and I treated them the same way. They are altogether in the same coop with a total of about 35 Silkies of various ages. [​IMG] Best of luck!!

3. poupoule

Dec 9, 2008
    Thanks. i'll go and separate my coop now. I have straw as a florring in my coop. Is this ok for the chicks or should I put newspaper instead?

4. poupoule

Dec 9, 2008
    I have started separated my coop and used shade cloth, so the chicks can't fit through and all the hens can see each other. And....... there is a second chick that hatched! he/she's definetely mama's. Looks like her [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by