new chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lewisusa1, May 17, 2010.

1. Lewisusa1

Lewisusa1 New Egg

May 3, 2009
    Help Help Help!!!! I had a broody hen and put some fertilized eggs (3) under her, and went out today to check on her and heard peeps from under her. What the heck do I do now? Do I leave them there or remove them? I am not sure how many have hatched yet as I am apprehensive to pick her up for fear of hurting them. Feel free to call me 206.718.6151 if you can give me some advice. Most topics talk about incubators not natural.

Chris

2. PoultryPeeps

PoultryPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Wasilla, Alaska
    The great think about a broody is you don't have to do ANYTHING!!! Don't worry, she will do it all. Mine even clean up after themselves by eating the eggshells! The babies come out all fluffy and happy - you never even see them all wet and flopping! Soon you will see them peeping out through her feathers. If you are dying to see them (and I always am) you can lift her straight up off the nest and they will plop out from under her. She will probably want to peck you - and they can peck hard! But you can take a peek and then just set her back down on top of them. They will be fine! Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by