New Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CowboyColby, Jun 17, 2010.

1. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    I've never pictured myself as a chicken person as I have always been into cattle, horses, and dogs. Then my boss got his baby chicks delivered and I ordered some that day. (5 White leghorn pullets, 1 cockrel, 4 brown leghorn pullets, 2 cockrels, and 2 spanish heritage turkeys) I got them in this morning gave them food and introduced them to water. I never imagined some little chirping birds could have the effect they already have on me.

I know you guys talk about always buying more chickens and are constantly expanding and I knew that wasn't for me until yesterday when I ordered more before my first were even here yet. I ordered 5 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Buff Brahama Bantam, 5 Black Sex Links, 2 more spanish turkeys, and 2 royal palm turkeys. Now I have tons of questions.

First a little background; I've never owned chickens, I fixed up our old chicken coop that hasn't been used in over 30 years at our farm house and placed my brooder in it using a little stocktank we had from way back when my sisters and I showed 4-H lambs. I've grown up on a farm/ranch all my life and so some of this comes naturally.

Questions:

When will I need to remove them from the "brooder" (sheep tank) to allow them all of the coop? Weeks? Guessing 5-6 from what I've read just looking for confirmation.

When can I allow them to free range outside around the farm? 3-4 months?

Will I need to eventually seperate the chickens from the turkeys?

Once my new batch of chicks arrive (will be in seperate brooder) when can i introduce them to my current birds?

I've read a ton on here and thank all of you for your opinions and valuable knowledge.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I am talking only about chickens. I do not know turkeys.

When will I need to remove them from the "brooder" (sheep tank) to allow them all of the coop? Weeks? Guessing 5-6 from what I've read just looking for confirmation.
    Depends a bit on your coolest temperatures at night, but chicks are normally fully feathered out at 4 to 5 weeks of age. Most broody hens wean their chicks by this age and they survive. Your Brahmas may be a tad slower to feather out than the other chickens, but I'm comfortable at 5 weeks age.

When can I allow them to free range outside around the farm? 3-4 months?

The smaller they are, the more tempting a target for a hawk, so I usually wait they are 8 weeks old. Some people wait later, some go earlier. A personal decision.

Will I need to eventually seperate the chickens from the turkeys?

No, especially if you free range them.

Once my new batch of chicks arrive (will be in seperate brooder) when can i introduce them to my current birds?

That's a hard one. Different people get different results. I've never had two groups that close together so I'll leave that question to others.

Good luck!!

3. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Thanks ridgerunner I appreciate your help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by