New chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by spiral_72, Sep 27, 2010.

1. spiral_72

spiral_72 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    Chesnee, SC
    This is my first hatching! I'm so exciting [​IMG]

I'm kinda worried about one... This isn't very good is it??

------- Image removed by me because it's sad and the problem has been identified ------------

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    what is it?

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Keep us updated- is the little one breathing ok? I can't help you any, though.

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    No, that's not good. That's not good at all. [​IMG]

It looks like his innerds are outside his body. If that is the case, then the possible causes could be that the temperature was too low during incubation (navel doesn't heal properly, letting his guts come out), or a long difficult hatching which can make the chick struggle so much that his innerds are pushed through his navel.

Sorry. [​IMG] Having hatched hundreds of chicks this year, I got about a dozen of those. I tried nursing the first few back to health, but they all died a long painful death. So I humanely put down all the rest that hatched that way. I hated it. [​IMG]

5. spiral_72

Apr 19, 2010
    Chesnee, SC
    What kind? It's a RIR. The chick looks quite different than the rest. The body is smaller and it appears to have it's entrails (SP?) outside on the rear. Is this possible or is it something else??

I sure hope the little guy is OK. The other three seem perfectly normal and happy.

6. spiral_72

Apr 19, 2010
    Chesnee, SC
    Cowgirl71,

Aw crap... that sucks......

How would you recommend I do this without a lot of...... um..... sadness or difficulty on my part???

7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I paid my brother a whole pack of sour gummy worms to put them down humanely with his BB rifle. [​IMG] According to him, a shot to the head ends it pretty quick. I would never be able to do it though...

8. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Sorry for your little one there. When I have to put one down, I find a paper bag, put the little one in it, and put it in the freezer. It is the only thing I can stand to do to handle the situation.

9. spiral_72

Apr 19, 2010
    Chesnee, SC
    OK, thank you people. This really stinks. I don't have a BB gun and I'd rather not use a .22, so I guess I'll put the little guy in the freezer. [​IMG]

I don't mind nursing him or her, but I don't know how he could get any better.... It's too bad it hatched I guess. I'd have rather not had to do this.

Thank you again.... The other three are making a lot of noise, driving my wife mad and sleeping with their head in the food bowl [​IMG] What pigs they are [​IMG]

I'm going to delete the picture asap. There's no need for anyone else to see it. I shoulda put a warning in the title I suppose. Sorry.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by