1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cochicks, Nov 3, 2010.

1. cochicks

cochicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    My husband just called and told me he's bringing home two Orpington chicks after work today. One of his colleagues ordered a few more than she can have (we have a limit of 10 in the city). We have three hens now, but we bought them full grown. This will be our first experience with chicks. I'm on my way to the store to buy a heat lamp and some chick feed. I think we'll be using my son's kiddie pool as a brooder since that's what I have on hand. Any words of wisdom?

2. barbieszoo

barbieszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Stillwater, OK
    How exciting! Sounds like fun! Enjoy them.

3. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    It's easier than you think! Make sure they have fresh water, chick starter, a heat lamp, and a brooder they can't fly out of. Within a week they'll be able to fly about 12" high, so you'll need to cover the pool with hardware cloth or something else. No need to get a thermometer to measure temperature - if they're too cold you'll see them all huddled under the lamp, too hot and they'll be in the opposite corner.

Put down some pine shavings and paper towels over that. You'll need to change the paper towels twice a day from the poop probably. And you'll need to refill the water several times a day since they poop in it and kick shavings into it. (at least that's what's happening at my house with 8 three week old chicks)

Enjoy!

4. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Congratulations! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by