New Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by homesteadmomma, Mar 27, 2011.

1. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    We fell for the $.50 temptation and brought home 8 new chicks. 2 banties and 6 unknowns. The banties are just a few days old and the others are a few weeks old if I had to guess. Would it be okay if they share the brooder for a couple days while we get something else set up. The little ones seem to stay out of the way. All are doing well, and they seem to like to catch free rides when they can. Right now I have a plastic bin with a heat lamp on one side with a towel over half to keep it warmer for the little ones and half uncovered so the older chicks can stay cool. Not sure how it will work because it seems that it might not be warm enough for the little ones and too warm for the older ones. Working on getting an accurate thermometer reading now.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have put 2 day old chicks in with 5 week old chicks before without any problems. They are easy to put together when they are young. I was so worried about the little ones, but it was actually pretty funny.........they would run and run right under the older birds and out the other side. [​IMG]

3. Unit505

Unit505 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Keithville, La
    I was wondering the same thing. My girls are going on three weeks and I wanted to add a meat bird or two.

4. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Recently read a post where someone introduced some day old chicks to older ones and woke up to find one squished (dead)... poor little guy was flattened while they all cozied up to sleep [​IMG] Just mentioned it as a caution.

5. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    Thank you guys for your opinions. Right now they are all living together doing very well. The little ones like to catch rides on the bigger ones backs and cozy up with them to sleep. I do like to make sure they aren't underneath the bigger ones throughout the day and before I go to bed. One of the little ones likes to sleep on his/her belly and lay it's head on the water dish, roost limb, or any other thing that he can find. Quite cute. And three of the five bigger ones like to sleep on their sides...it scared me, but read that this is normal. Funny little chicks. Have 25 more Barred Rocks coming April 15th as well, so it should be pretty busy around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by