new chicks,

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by linziloo, Jun 23, 2011.

1. linziloo

linziloo New Egg

Jun 23, 2011
    Hello everyone,
    can someone help me plz?...........
    i have had 2 hens whom i love dearly, for just on a year now. BUT!!
    I have just bought 2 chicks of 6 weeks old and i am trying to introduce them to the coop.
    Not sure how to go about this as my older hens have just pecked at littlest chick, and it looked so mean to me.
    I know there will be a pecking order, but am scared to death of putting the new chicks into the coop tonight
    in case my bigger hens hurt the little chicks..
    Has anyone got some advise plzzzzzzzzzz
    Thanks

2. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    [​IMG] and if you have a cage, put the cage in the coop and put the chicks in the cage for a couple days so that they can get to know each other with out being able to hurt each other.

3. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    You really should wait til the chicks are about the same size of your hens then sneak them in a couple at a time. You might have to wait til they are around 4 or 5 months.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Your hens will most likely kill the babies. I used a wire dog kennel for my integration. I put it in there and separated the two flocks. It took 3 weeks before they were integrated. All, but 1 chick, which is my bantam are the same size.

5. linziloo

linziloo New Egg

Jun 23, 2011
    Thanks you so much... i do have a cage and will take your advise and put the little chicks inside that and then put the cage in the coop.............
    there so cute i just want them all to get on. [​IMG]

6. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Yea I wouldnt mix them just yet, even when there older I would put something in the pen where only the younger ones could fit to get away from the bigger ones. Like maybe a cage without a bottom and put a large brick or some thing under one side of cage so they can get away if they want. worked from experiance..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by