1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chicks!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Spoiled1_629, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Spoiled1_629

Spoiled1_629 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Midland, TX
    Well, I got some chicks from my mother in law on Saturday, but didn't get as many as I wanted so I ordered more from MPC. They were delivered today and I am stuck at work so I can't go play with them. Don't worry... I got the brooder all set up for them (A separate brooder from the 2 week old chicks I already have) and my hubby is picking them up for me at the PO and going to keep watch on them until I get home. He just isn't as excited as I am..... I WANT TO GO HOME!!!!! LOL

2. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    Aw, too bad you're stuck at work. But you'll have fun when you get home! Congratulations on your new chicks!

3. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    LOL Ohhhh I bet your hubby will hear that peeping.. and tear open the box.. and see them lil fluffy things and fall for them.. and you will secretly walk in the door n see him snugling them

My hubby claims to not like our cats- and if he had his way the'd disapear - 3 years later I still have my cats. and I always find him talking to them.. and petting them. and once in a while pat his lap for one to jump up and snuggle . hmmmm

My hubby claims he dont care for the dog. and I"ts not ours it's still a stray an not staying, and will never come inside. - almost 2 months later.. dogs still here.. it comes inside every day.. and has "Daddy time" every night where hubby has me bring him in so he can play with him.- hmmmmm

he claims the chickens are not ours either she's a stray. and were just allowing her to stay. yet He's the one who suggested I fence in our porch. HE is the one who suggess I go out there several times a day n get them use to me.. and try to pick them up.. HE suggested all of that. AND he gose out there every morn to check the fluids in the work truck. AFTER he stops at the porch n talks to the chicken and the chicks. AND HE HEAD COUNTS to be sure we have 11 chicks still. - hmmmmmm and he don't complain about them like he dose the cats and dog

only animals he don't complain about is our ferrets and the turtles.. as they are the pets we agree'd on getting lol.. and not pets that either I brought home knowing he'd nto do squat.. or were strays that realized I'm a softy and will take care of them

sooo Hubby's act tough when were not looking.. but when were not.. their realy big softys lol.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  4. Spoiled1_629

Jul 19, 2011
    Midland, TX
    He sent me a pic of them when he got them home. I called and asked how they were doing and he said " they are just a bunch more colored birds" Of course I am concerned and was giving him instructions to make sure he showed them where the water and food was and to make sure they didn't fall asleep in the water. I am sure he was rolling his eyes at me.

That being said we ended the conversation with him saying they sure are funny to watch. They are kinda clumsy. LOL

5. kfisher123

kfisher123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Verona Wisconsin
    Congrats!! Have fun with them tonight!
    [​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Time to get a violent stomach virus and go home. Tell them you have fowlectitis! [​IMG]

7. Spoiled1_629

Jul 19, 2011
    Midland, TX
    Quote:You have no idea how close I was to doing this.... I think I have a touch of the flu anyways.... low fever and cough. I didn't though. I stuck it out! LOL

I got home last night and I immediately went to the brooder box. They are so super adorable!!!!!!!!! I had a few hard boiled eggs, so I chopped one up and had them eating out of my hand. Even my hubby seemed excited about them.

He said they were not what he was expecting. Of course our only other experience with chicks is with the 2 week olds that were already starting to feather out when we got them.

I swear I checked on them about 50 times last night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by