New chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cindy57, Oct 5, 2011.

1. cindy57

cindy57 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    I've been thinking of getting some new chicks they are straight run pullets about 4 to 5 weeks old. From reading other posts i see that they can go without the heat lamp. I have a coop for them my question is can i just mix them with my exsiting flock. I have 4 hens and 2 roos.They were all purchased in the spring, the hens are just now beginning to lay.
    I have the chance to buy some older hens that are 3 to 4 years old but don't know how long they will still lay? the guy that has them says they are laying about every day or so.
    which would be the best way to add to my flock?
    thanks for any info
    cindhy

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I personally wouldn't get the older ones...chickens lay the most eggs the first year and tend to taper off after that...

no matter which way you decide, you will need to SLOWLY introduce the newcomers. Your adults would pick on the babies...possibly even injuring/killing them...

curious to see what you decide!

3. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I would wait till they were the same size as your existing ones before adding them as the bigger ones can gang up on the little ones. I would think the older ones will be slowing down on their laying now.
    It all depends if you have the room to separate but I would go with the babies personally [​IMG]

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:Straight run is unsexed birds. I would not invest in 3 to 4 yr old birds. You will not be able to put 4 to 5 week old chicks in with your older ones. The older birds will pick on them and maybe even kill them. They need to be older and about the same size. The younger birds will need a safe place to go where the older birds can't get to them. Also since these birds are coming from another place, it would be a good idea to quarantine them for at least 30 days to avoid any potential health issues. Just my opinion. Good luck and have fun...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by