1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kjk66ss, Nov 18, 2011.

1. kjk66ss

kjk66ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2011
    chatsworth,ca
    hello, i have a 4 week old silkie pullet and a 4 week old cockerel black japanese. today i just got 2 4 day old chicks one Rhode island red and the other is an americana. i have them in the same coop rite now which is not very big maybe 3'x3'x3' ,the chickens will eventually be free range chickens . as for now will the chickens be alright together? it is bed time for them and everytime i go out and look the silkie is sitting on them while they sleep, but when they get up and move around and the 4 day old chicks eat the older ones will steal the food from them but dont look too agressive yet.

2. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    I sense danger for the little ones. If it were my flock, I would separate them and let the wee little one get to fighting size before dropping them into the bunch. Think of a small bunch of 1st grader's in a room of juniors... not a pretty picture!

3. idispatch4911

idispatch4911 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Good advice. I'm going to be in the same predicament in January with chicks ordered and growing and hatching some new ones. They'll be about 4 weeks apart. I've been wondering the same thing - separate them or keep them together. We'll just have to play it by ear.

4. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I've seen older chicks take care of younger ones by letting them snuggle under them and such.
    But just to avoid complications, I would keep them separated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by