New chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 1country, Dec 5, 2011.

1. 1country

1country Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I have some eggs that are going to hatch this coming weekend and I was wondering is it safe to put the chicks out side at eight weeks old . I have afully enclosed coop but the walls and roof are metal . I'm going to put foam boards up this weekend .

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Please excuse my ignorance but what is stir foam boards?

3. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i think its styrofoam

4. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:Once they become fully feathered, you should have no problems with putting them in a coop. Depending upon your location, you may need to come up with a way to provide a little additional heat but that becomes a personal preference thing. In addition, the "heat source" may also represent a fire hazard, resulting in the loss of both coop and birds.

Be aware that chickens will eat the styrofoam. If you use styrofoam panels to insulate your coop, you will have to cover it with something they cannot tear through. The backing on the styrofoam insulation panels is NOT sufficient enough to deter them. Use cheap wooden panels, strips of cardboard, even old feed bags if you have to as a way to prevent them from getting at the styrofoam. Unless you do a true paneling job, keep an eyeball on it since the slightest little tear that allows them access to the foam will become a big gaping hole in no time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by