New chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ole rooster, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    As I stated in another post I had a BO go broody on one egg. I put 5 more under her to see what would happen. I wanted to see if Bob was the stud he acted like.
    21 days later here's what I got. The papa is a GLW and 4 of the eggs are from the BO's and it looks like 2 are the sexlinks.[​IMG]
    to
    This picture shows them at 2 days. There are 6 but here one's hiding somewhere. Mama is making a mess with the feed. The chicks are fine,no mess there, she's scratching it out of the feeder onto floor before the chicks can get to it. But they are going to the feeder and drinking very good. She still fusses at me but stopped pecking me. Wish I had a better picture but she won't line um up for me.[​IMG] Since non of the other chickens lay in the coop with her in there, I close it up for them and let the others lay in the dog house or in the shed. I'll work out.

2. glucke

glucke Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    [​IMG] congrats ole rooster!!! are those the eggs that you feared wouldn't hatch because your girl left them long enough to cool down? They are all so cute [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    After reading on here about mash and being forced to try it because the crumbles I bought were actually half-cracked large pellets in the bag, I decided to try the wetting technique with my chick food. I now feed it in a dog bowl at the consistency of wet sand, when there are no more loose individual crumbles and it starts to make large clumps.

This helps to bind the crumble "dust" to other food particles so it's not wasted, and I've found the chicks have a MUCH easier time with it - I bet mom will too! They go bonkers for their mash! I've been feeding just enough for about a day so nothing gets moldy. I honestly don't know if I'll go back to crumbles for chicks after this.

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Yeah glucke, same eggs. The last 6 days she didn't move. She turned around in the nest once and that was it. When I kinda knew something was up was when I opened the nest door checking for eggs first thing in the morning. She was sorta up off the nest with her feathers all fluffed up. She started "growiling" so I left her alone. That afternoon I saw 5 outside the nest with a egg still under her. I was really happy all the eggs hatched. She did good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by