New chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pipewrench, Mar 2, 2013.

1. pipewrench

pipewrench New Egg

Mar 2, 2013
    West Tennessee
    Wanting to get some chicks. What would be the best? Local store has both straight run and sexed pullets.

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    What do you want?

I have 6 chicks in my sewing room right now. Will get down to 3 in another week or so. Mine are soley for pets that happen to lay eggs that aren't duck eggs. Love baking with duck eggs. Don't like an over easy duck egg :(

3. pipewrench

pipewrench New Egg

Mar 2, 2013
    West Tennessee
    Just want to grow some good laying hens for eggs to feed kids

4. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Sex-links (red star, golden comet) are great layers of large brown eggs. Ours lay, daily. They have fabulous temperaments. -sweet birds.

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If you are in an area with Tractor Supply or other farm/feed supply store that is selling or about to sell chicks, you can pick some pullets up from them. THey seem to have good laying breeds.

I picked up some buff orpingtons and barred rocks last weekend and a bantam blue cochin (that was an accident though). All from the pullet bin, so hopefully they were sexed correctly and I'll have laying hens in a few months.

You can also order online from many different hatcheries to get what you are looking for specifically. Check out mypetchicken.com and look at breeds and info on them and decide what you are looking for. Some hatcheries have min orders of birds.

6. steve25

steve25 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2010
    riley, michigan
    If you live near imlay city mi. Tsc has pullets 40 for $20. Or buy 6 get 6 free. I picked up 30 isa browns and 10 black sex links. This weeke.d only sale.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by