New Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ncmurray512, Mar 2, 2013.

1. ncmurray512

ncmurray512 New Egg

Nov 7, 2012
    We just couldn't help ourselves and ending up getting 6 Golden Comet pullet chicks at TSC this morning. I've got them set up in the brooder now. I already have on order from the hatchery 4 barred rock chicks and 4 buff orpington chicks. We are supposed to pick those up the last week of March. So these little darlings will be about 3 weeks old when we get the new 8 chicks. Do I need to brood them seperately? and what about in the coop? I'm wondering if I should cancel the hatchery order all together. I don't have room for 2 coops in my yard.
    Thanks!

2. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    My opinion only, but the size difference in the short three weeks will be significant! I would not put them together as I think the new ones would be at risk of injury. You may be able to make something with a wire or see-through barrier, so they can get used to each other without being with each other, so when you move them outside , or into a bigger pen when they are older, you will be able to integrate easily then.

Perhaps someone who has been successful integrating like that will be able to "chime in".

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I would do as fishermans wife suggested and place a wire barrier in the middle of the brooder, with two separate sides and separate lamps (as the new babies will need more heat). Leave them this way for about 1 week. When you go to integrate them, make a huge production of feed and water, lots of excitement, quick movements. Then remove the barrier, leaving feeders and waterers where they were. They should be okay with each other. 4 weeks old is the last age I would do this, though I've had some success with 5 week olds. I try not to do it with chicks more than 1 week apart. As long as the brooder is large enough you shouldn't have too many problems. If the brooder is too small, the older ones will pick on the younger ones and the younger ones will have no where to run to. Good luck, I think it can be done. If you see blood after integration, there is a definitely problem and you must separate them until they are older and can have a larger space in which to integrate.

4. ncmurray512

ncmurray512 New Egg

Nov 7, 2012
    Thanks for the great advice. We ended up just cancelling our hatchery order. We'll see how it goes with our Golden Comets. Maybe we'll add to the flock next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by