1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken gal, Mar 5, 2013.

1. chicken gal

chicken gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    Hi,
    I am thinking of getting another chick. What one should I get? I already have 6. I want one unique. But not a naked neck or anything like that. I want one that is good with cold weather. And not one to jumpy. Just a calm one good with children. But not like there is any difference. I am thinking of getting a Silkie but I don't think it is the best one for me. I have kind of want a Wyandotte. But they have feathers on their feet and I don't want it to get dirty. But I have been thinking about a buff orphington (I am not sure it is spelled correctly) but I am not really sure. Thanks!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Perhaps a frizzle? Ameracuana are nice... Bantam or standard size? Im a big fan of barred rock... How old are the other chicks? Adding one by itself could lead to pecking and being treated poorly by the others.. Something to consider

3. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    Well my chickens are about 9 months old. I love barred rocks. I have one. To me frizzles look like they are all messed up. And I have an Aracuna. I don't know how to spell it.[​IMG]

4. Kay1993

Kay1993 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Hawaii
    How 'bout a Marans?

5. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    if you are buying at a store like tractor Supply buy the smallest one in the box, they need love too[​IMG]

6. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    Maybe

7. Szolkir

Szolkir New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    I have found that my Silver-Laced Wyandottes are friendly, calm and good with cold weather (given shelter of course, but you get my meaning), we've had a few sub zero temp night here in Northern MI.

8. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Had some of those in michigan thumb as well... If your cold climate the only thing i would consider is comb size... Big floppy combs are awesome and there are ways to protect from frost bite but its easier to just avoid it and get a nice rose comb or something... Especially if they are pets cuz frostbite makes you feel real bad for them

9. Szolkir

Szolkir New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    Can't you use vaseline to help protect against frostbite? I thought it was something like that but I'm not sure.

10. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    try it and see if your hand feels warm after you apply vaseline, my rooster got frostbite when the temperature got down to minus 5F. I am skeptical.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by