1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OTim, Aug 10, 2013.

1. OTim

OTim New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    We have 15 new chicks and still hatching in the incubator. We have them in a small box with light for heat, fresh water, food, and some hay for bedding.
    They group together at night and have had 2 get smashed and die. Is there a way to prevent this?
    History,
    We bought a used LG incubator, started with 30 eggs. Candling at 7 and 17 days 8 were tossed. Otherwise hatch rate has been good. This is the first time with incubator and has been a fun project for us (family). Thanks Tim O

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Get a bigger box and put the light/heat source away from a corner so that they are not crowding together for warmth. Generally chicks get crushed in corners - 'rounding off the corners with a curved piece of cardboard can help solve the problem

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

4. OTim

OTim New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    Thanks

5. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Yeah, I agree with the others that it probably has got to do with the amount of heat. Either it's too hot and their in the corner of the brooder trying to get away from the heat, in which case you need to raise the heat lamp. Or they are too cold and trying to get the closest they can to the heat, or pile on each other for heat, in which case you can lower the heat lamp.

6. OTim

OTim New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    I moved the light bulb and took some cardboard and rounded the corners, I'll have to get a bigger box for the next batch. They go to their new home tomorrow.
    thanks Tim O

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by