new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mkwarner, Aug 19, 2008.

1. mkwarner

mkwarner New Egg

Jul 1, 2008
    circleville
    Hi, I just received day old chicks. I have three of them. One chick keeps pecking the smallest one and I have had to remove her from the brooder. She is not happy...chirping franicly. What can I do? Also, how and when can I re-introduce her back into the brooder?

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Is there any way you can split your brooder? I had a similar issue and I ended up using some hardware cloth to split my brooder. This way, the chicks could see each other. After a few days, I reintroduced them and they were fine.

Edited to say....WELCOME TO BYC!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  3. mkwarner

mkwarner New Egg

Jul 1, 2008
    circleville
    What is hardware cloth? I'm actually using an old rabbit /hamster cage for a brooder, so I do have a way to wire up something, I just don't know what.

4. hens@reddirthill

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    Quote:Like window screen, it lets air through and they can see through it, but won't be able to peck the little guy.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Go into any Menards or home Depot and ask them for hardware cloth...they can show you where to find it. I agree with putting something up where they can still see and hear each other...otherwise they may fight still after you try to reintroduce them. Good luck and welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by