New chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by johnnyduffy, Nov 10, 2013.

1. johnnyduffy

johnnyduffy New Egg

Nov 10, 2013
    Hi everyone,
    I have 7 hens that have been with me for over 2 years. I just picked up 6 more that are 3 month old chicks. They all stay in a secure stall in my barn at night, and the older ones roam free all day. The new ones have been kept in the stall with the others but in a dog cage for a week now. How soon can I let them out with the others ? Thanks.

Johnny

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's best to quarantine new birds at least 2 weeks as far from yours as possible. Quarantine is also working your birds first and then the new ones. Observe the new ones for parasites and any sign of disease.
    I then put one of my expendable original birds with the new ones to see if anything gets contracted.
    That will also work well so that they'll be partially integrated with your flock.

3. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

If you have plenty of room for them and they are about the same size you can let them out now. just watch them interacting and look for signs of bulling from older flock. there is going to be some picking from the existing flock but you don't want your new birds hurt. if any blood is seen immediately separate them.
    Welcome and enjoy BYC
    Steve. :frow

4. johnnyduffy

johnnyduffy New Egg

Nov 10, 2013
    Thank you.

5. johnnyduffy

johnnyduffy New Egg

Nov 10, 2013
    Thank you, and way cool.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

7. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC! :~D

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] you can also partition the run with wire fencing with the new kids on one side and the older birds on another, this way they get to see each other and get used to them without being able to cause harm. If that seems to go well for a few days you can try letting them out together but hang around to observe. put out an extra feed and water dish out in case the older birds bully the young ones away from eating/drinking.

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] There are some articles on chicken behaviour, introducing new chickens, biosecurity etc in the Learning Center. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by