New chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dsmchickens, Jan 25, 2014.

1. dsmchickens

dsmchickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    Des Moines, IA
    I am looking to purchase 25-30 chicks soon. In the past I have had problems with death at all ages. I am looking for a variety of breeds that lay all colors and can do just fine in the cold, I live in Des Moines and this year we've had wind chills down to -35. I would prefer fairly good egg production but overall just hardy chickens. What suggestions of breeds do you have? I am looking at getting them from Murray McMurray, from what I hear to be the best hatchery but if this is wrong please let me know. Thank You.

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello there,
    The hardiest chickens I know of are Chanticler & Buckeyes. Both specifically bred for harsh climates. They are a threatened species so are a bit more expensive. McMurray is good I've heard, however, some others are as good and a little cheaper. My petchicken, Meyer, Randall Burkey etc. Shop around for prices.
    Also check out the learning center tab here for folks' experiences with cold hardy breeds. All the info will likely be first hand, good luck on your search, Sue

3. misbhaven

misbhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2014
    I googled it awhile ago adding to that list... delaware . Brahmas ,wyandottes, cochin ee basicaly rose or pea comb chicken that are heavily feathered. I live.near the quad cities in a very similar climate. I just started a new flock. (Had one years ago) I got a mix. SLW, brama bantams(big for a bantam.)EE and cochon bantams .

4. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    I thought that Meyer had very good prices. EEs for the colored eggs. Any pea/rose combed chicken should do fine. If they have big, fleshy combs then they are prone to frostbite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by