New chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rubenmarquez23, Feb 4, 2014.

1. rubenmarquez23

rubenmarquez23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Hello this are my new chicks a Roo and Hen I was told they are Silkie bantams but I read that Silkies have five toes and this only have four I will post pics of them in a couple of weeks, I just want name ideas lol [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Not silkies, as you said silkies have 5 toes, feathered shanks, black skin and unless the person can vent sex (which isn't always right) there's no sexing them this young. Please post pictures in a month or so and we can help you figure out what they are. Good luck with the cuties. [​IMG]

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Those aren't silkies. I'm not seeing silkied primaries. Besides it usually takes months for a silkie's gender to become apparent, so I'm not sure how the seller can claim you have a pair.

What other breeds did the seller have? Welsummers maybe?

4. rubenmarquez23

Jan 27, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Yeah I thought they weren't silkies I also can not see any traits, yeah they are still small so In a couple weeks I'll post another pic
    From the top of my head I can remember are Rhode Island reds, black and red broilers and "silkies" and probably 5 other breeds that I can't remember right now

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I agree they aren't Silkies...not even close...and not RIR's nor black or red broilers...they are probably a mix of those 5 other breeds as they look like mixes to me.

You may be lucky and have a pair. I read one Ag article that states "typically" partridge colored chicks will be girls if the stripe goes from the head, down the neck, down the back and has 3 colors in the stripes while it is "often" male if the stripe is on the head, skips the neck, then continues on the back and only has 2 color of stripe.

I tried it on picking out my EE's and it seemed to work...or I just got really, really lucky.

Anyway, good luck with your 2 little chicks and post photos in a few weeks.
    Lady of McCamley

6. rubenmarquez23

Jan 27, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    The guy that sold them to me he vent sexed them and he said that the hens have a tail and the cocks don't
    But whatever breed they are I will take good care of them
    Once they start getting their feathers I'm going to post some pics :)

7. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Might be bbred old english

8. rubenmarquez23

Jan 27, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    I like old English so I hope that's what's they are

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by