New chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rubenmarquez23, Feb 10, 2014.

1. rubenmarquez23

rubenmarquez23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    I have my first baby chicks coming in on Thursday any tips?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Enter your question in the subject search at the top of this page and you'll get more information than you know what to do with! To keep it short, I'd recommend that the brooder be big enough that the chicks can be under the light for a temp of 90-95, and able to get away from the heat to an area of the brooder that will be as low as 70 degrees. Be sure they get their beaks dipped in the water immediately when you put them in the brooder. Chicks can drown in an amazingly small amount of water, and they are drawn to water, so put marbles or small stones in their waterer to keep them from wading in it. Start them on paper towel bedding, sprinkle some starter feed on top of the towels to start, along with the feed in their feeder. I found that the starter that I had was a bit too course, so I buzzed it in my blender, and they were better able to handle the texture. Electrolytes and probiotics give them a nutritional boost. Beware of pets and small children... it only takes a moment to injure a chick. HAVE FUN!!!!

3. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Have the brooder temp set before you get them. Make sure that the chicks have a warm spot and a cool spot in the brooder - warm spot being between 90 - 95 degrees and the cool spot being between 80 - 85. Put some electrolytes in their water for the first week - gives their immune systems a head start. Dip their beaks in the waterer when you first put them in the brooder - this lets them know where the water is.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  4. rubenmarquez23

rubenmarquez23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Thanks guys I think my brooder is small so I will make a bigger one tomorrow just in case but everything I have ready now I'm just ready for the chicks to get here :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by